Saturday, July 23, 2022

The different kinds of camping that you can do

 The different types of camping that you can do can vary in many different ways from things like cost, location, amenities, and privacy. I try to categorize camping I do into four different categories which are Campground camping, boondock camping,  and car camping. I have done all of these different types of camping for various different reasons, camping can be very situational and the type of camping you choose to do can make or break the trip. For example, most people wouldn't want to take their very young kid backpacking but would be more willing to take their child campground camping or boondock camping. 

Campground camping is the easiest as well as the safest way to camp. I remember when I was a kid and my parents would take me to campgrounds in Mount Charleston they had showers, bathrooms, and a lot of other people around which took away the intimidating factor of being in the woods alone. Campgrounds are great if you want things such as amenities, people nearby, and guaranteed fire rings this is huge if you are in California since there are so many fire restrictions. The thing I like the most personally about campground camping is that it's nice to see everyone who normally would not be your neighbors or a community become one for a night. A campground near where I am located in San Diego and that I enjoy going to is Paso Picacho Campground near Lake Cuyamaca,  there are fun hikes to do there like Stone Wall Peak.

From Paso Picacho campground

Boondock camping to me is when I drive out to a remote spot with my friends or my dog and set up my tent close by to where my car is. This kind of camping is really fun to do if you want to have a remote experience with minimal cell service, It really connects you to nature. Some of the places I have Boondock camped and really enjoyed were Hope valley near Lake Tahoe and Kitchen creek road back home in San Diego near Mt. Laguna. It's a type of camping that can be intimidating however since you are alone in the wilderness but once you get past it some of the best camping adventures you have may be from boondock camping. 

This photo was taken in Hope Valley near Lake Tahoe


Car Camping isn't my favorite but I have used it for a specific reason which is needing to save some money on a snowboarding trip and being willing to camp out in a remote place but wanting the extra protection from a harshly cold environment. Some of the nights I have car camped have been in single digits temperature wise and with a tent, it's possible but not enjoyable. In a car, it's a little easier to manage the cold. I have car camped when visiting Mammoth, big bear, and Tahoe. 

Here's a video of me scraping ice off my windshield from the inside after camping in it overnight.

The type of camping you chooses matters for the type of experience you want when camping and it's crucial to not only what's the most fun but what you are capable of doing. No matter what type of camping you choose to do they all benefit from bringing us closer to nature.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Dylan! Your blog is literally helping me get ready for my next camping trip. I decided that I'm going to camp in my car because its super convenient but its definitely going to help me save money like how you mentioned it in your blog. Im considering going to Big Bear or Lake Tahoe to camp because you mentioned it in your blog. Thank you for your amazing post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dylan, thank you for a great post with awesome photos ! I am going camping for the very first time in a week, so I was very intrigued when I saw the title of your blog. I have very minimal knowledge on this topic. I really like how you break up camping into categories, it makes the concept a lot easier to grasp, and also provides the viewer with options so you are providing to a bigger audience. We are going “campground camping”. It makes me feel better about it that you said it was the safest and less intimidating for my first time. I learned a lot from this blog, thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dylan. I really like your blog. I am planning on buying a toy hauler camper to permanently live in while I travel form job to job. I travel in healthcare. And I know a few people who I have met over the years mostly travel nurses who live full time in RVs. They mostly stay in RV parks, but when traveling to different jobs many of the boondock. There is quite a following of these people on various you tube channels. The best boondocking is on government land, referred to as BLM ) Bureau of Land Management that are located in many places throughout the country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dylan, I haven't been camping in so long and your post really makes me want to get back out there! Out of the types you described, I've only been campground camping. I used to be a Girl Scout who went to a lot of campgrounds, and like you said, that's a safe option for kids. Boondock camping sounds so exciting! I've seen one too many horror movies and feel nervous at the prospect of being in the wilderness, but if I ever get the courage I would love to give that a go. I'll have to check out Paso Picacho sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dylan! I honestly decided to read your post because I know nothing about camping and I have never been haha. I thought it would be fun to read about a topic that is very new to me! I never realized how many different types of camping you could do until your post. I enjoyed your photos, they made a beginner like me, more understanding of your topic and after seeing how exciting camping is for you, I honestly want to try it out too!

    ReplyDelete

Having your best camping trip

                                                                                   Having your best camping trip can be planned out but you&...